To: Rodeo/Portal Community
From: Alicia Davidson and Aimee Essary
Re: 4th of July Activities, 2017
Many of us cannot imagine not having 4th of July Parade, Dinner, Dance, and Fireworks!
The neighbors who have organized all this in the past have “burned out” and understandably so!
It is up to others to take it up. It may mean a few changes and some “new traditions”.
We would like for little help from a lot of people to simplify everything.
Many ideas are needed to make it fun. Aimee and Alicia are just trying to get the ball rolling.
Suggestions made so far:
1. A simplified dinner to be taken over by the Rodeo 4H Club grilling hamburgers, hot dogs, , cookies, drinks, pies. Proceeds from the dinner go to the Rodeo 4H Club.
2. It may be held in the Rodeo Community Center and the Rodeo Grill/Tavern to avoid long lines.
3. The Cake Auction could remain for scholarships if someone would volunteer to take that over.
4. Dance is up in the air.
5. We can have Fireworks by one of our locals with Lance and the fire truck at hand.
6. Parade- possible theme: “Kids & their animals”, “Rodeo/Portal Life for all Ages”, “Bugs, Birds, Butterflies, Bovines, and Horses” or other ideas.
PARADE: Encourage many more entries such as:
Some businesses could partner together to do a float or other type of entry
Schools could enter
Our 12 B&Bs could combine to show off lodging ambiances in our area
Various charities could combine
The churches could do something together
More horsemen & women
WHAT IS NEEDED/WHAT YOU CAN DO:
Donate food items for dinner such as:
hot dogs or brats
Paper plates, cups, silverware
Help cook & serve at buffet
Help clean up after dinner
Solicit cakes & Run the Cake Auction
Donate Fireworks or money to buy them (check w. Aimee for type of fireworks, please)
Help publicize and recruit parade entries
Please think about what you are able to contribute and let either Aimee or Alicia know so we may proceed on organizing our celebration. We know we can count on you….THANKS!!!
Aimee Essary: (575) 557-2202 firstname.lastname@example.org
Alicia Davidson: (520) 558-1088 email@example.com
July 26- 29
BIOLOGY OF SNAKES CONFERENCE
To celebrate their beauty, importance, and conservation, Chiricahua Desert Museum & Geronimo Event Center is planning and hosting the first Biology of Snakes Conference (BoS). Previous professional meetings on snakes that we have organized placed emphasis on certain lineages, predominately the vipers, boas, and pythons (Biology of the Pitvipers, Biology of the Vipers, Biology of the Boas and Pythons), but for BoS we are throwing out the broadest net possible and intend to explore and discuss the entire group. Indeed, this is an exciting and ambitious agenda. We welcome everyone who is interested in snakes!
The schedule begins with our invited speakers. These three luminaries have made tremendous contributions to our knowledge of snakes; we are privileged to have them attend and present.
● Dr. Wolfgang Wüster will deliver the Keynote. His talk is titled, "Natural History and Genetic Basis of Venom Evolution." Those of you who have seen Wolfgang speak know that he will give us a very lively and exciting presentation.
● Dr. Frank Burbrink is our featured speaker. His recent work on snakes has taken him far from his office in New York. Frank will be discussing, "The Origin and Diversification of Snakes in Madagascar."
● Dr. Mark O'Shea is our banquet speaker. Most of us know that Mark is always on the move, but somehow we were able to lure him to this meeting. He will engage and entertain us with an intriguing title, "Amphibian and Reptile Art in Miniature: Adventures in Herpeto-Philately."
We will be honoring three world-class artists who have made snakes and other reptiles prime subjects of their art (see their profiles and art at the BoS website). At the conference, these individuals will discuss their remarkable careers. In some form or another, their art will be showcased and available for sale. Also, you may contact them ahead of the meeting if you would like to have them to deliver a particular piece of art you want to acquire.
● Tell Hicks firstname.lastname@example.org
● Carel Brest van Kempen email@example.com
● William B. Montgomery firstname.lastname@example.org